In a hurry? Use these quicklinks:
Lodging in the house is available starting November 15, 2013.
The Hueco Rock Ranch is taking reservations! Book now.
Reservations are not required, but are recommended.
However, booking a spot will secure you a place to crash when you get here.
Rooms in the house fill up fast!
For more info call: (915) 856-7181
The AAC bought the Hueco Rock Ranch! Details here.
- Camping map (PDF)
- AAC member: $5 person/night.
- Non-member: $10 person/night.
- Support the Ranch by joining the AAC
Bunks and rooms in the house are available starting November 15, 2013:
|Type||AAC Member||Access Fund Member||Non Member|
Bunk Rm: 2 Pers
» Sleeps Two
» 1 Full Size Bed/ price is for room
|RV Spot (no hookups)||$9.00||$14.00||$18.00|
Bunk Rm: 8 Pers
» Sleeps Eight
There is a 10% discount for two-week stays or more, in both the house and for camping.
- Payment is required at time of booking to confirm the dates desired, as well as a list of guests and their membership status. (Please see cancellation policy, below).
- Whole house rates are not offered for the upcoming season.
- Only one or two persons may stay in a private room(1 single full sized bed), no more.
- You can purchase both bunks in a two-bunk room to make it a private room, if availability allows.
- In order to get member pricing, each person must be a member of the AAC. If not, then non-member pricing applies to that person/bed.
No cancellation charge and 100% refund if notice is received more than 30 days in advance of arrival date.
50% refund if cancellation notice is received between 7 and 30 days of arrival date.
No refund if cancellation notice is received within 7 days of arrival date.
Late Arrivals: Reservations for multiple days are automatically cancelled without refund unless notice of late arrival is provided to the ranch by 11:00 a.m. on the second day of the reservation.
No pets are allowed in any structure or on Hueco Rock Ranch property.
The Hueco Rock Ranch was fully renovated in 2012
- All new carpets, appliances, beds and mattresses in the house.
- Complete rebuild of the Barn interior, including a new kitchen, 3 new private bathrooms which now all include showers.
- The Barn now has an open floor plan, with improved community space.
Climbing in Hueco
The Hueco Rock Ranch is, hands down, the best place to stay if you're climbing in Hueco. Located just outside El Paso, Texas, and just a 3 miles from Hueco Tanks—the best bouldering on the planet—the Ranch is the perfect spot to set up shop and hang with your fellow climbers.
Since getting access to Hueco can be tricky, we've got all the info you'll need to be climbing in no time. Access to the park varies by location: North Mountain and the Backcountry (East Mountain, West Mountain, and the East Spur). The climbing is awesome in every area, so check out the access details to see which area you'd like to visit.
Park Reservations: (512) 389-8900
North Mountain is open to the public for self-guided climbing. The number of people allowed on North at any given point is 70. The park takes reservations in advance for 60 people and also has 10 "walk-up" spots. Once these are taken, if additional people want to get on North, there is usually a waiting list. At this point the park allows people in on a "one out, one in" basis. People who have made reservations in advance have until 10:00 a.m. to either claim their reservation or notify the park if they will be running late. At 10:00 a.m. the park staff will consider the unclaimed reservations "no-shows" and begin giving them to people who are in line waiting.
Granted, there is no guarantee that there will be any no-shows, and there is also no guarantee that you will be one of the first 10 there to get a walk-up spot. But, someone is always taking a rest day. Bouldering in the Tanks is tough on the body and the skin, so people often take unplanned rest days. Besides, rest days mean just hanging around relaxing. And who doesn't love that? This means there are often extra reservations. Since the climbing community as a whole is friendly and helpful, just wander around the campfire or Barn at the Ranch and it's not difficult to stumble across spare North reservations. Just remember to say things like please and thanks.
Schedule a Volunteer Tour: (915) 857-1135
Climbing in the West, East, and East Spur requires a guide. Please call the State Park at (915) 857-1135 to schedule a volunteer to guide you on your trip. Availability varies due to volunteer schedules.
Commercial guided trips available through Wagon Wheel Coopt.
The Ranch is located at 17498 Bettina Ave, El Paso, TX 79938 (Map). To get to the Ranch:
- Head east on Montana Avenue (US 180) out of El Paso
- Turn left onto Hueco Tanks Road/Ranch Road 2275/State Park Road
- Turn left onto Hueco Mountain Road (a few hundred yards before the state park gate)
- Make your first right onto Woodrow Drive
- When the road Ts, turn left on Bettina Avenue (PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY, and create no dust)
- The Hueco Rock Ranch is the third house down on your left
Check out Texas Parks and Wildlife's site for 360-degree tours, access info, and some park history.