- 2014 Live Your Dream Grant Trip Report: Hanna Lucy & Alexa Siegel Climb Half Dome
- Barry Rusnock: New Mid-Atlantic Section Co-Chair
- Jim Kunz: New Mid-Atlantic Section Co-Chair
- Live Your Dream report: Gary Sorcher sends his Hueco project
- Abbey Smith on the Hueco Rock Ranch Celebration
Events Sections Benefits Volunteer Contact
Meet your Northeast Regional Manager
Lisa Hummel:Originally from Milwaukee, WI, Lisa has spent over the last decade (more or less) living and climbing in the Southeast. She began climbing while studying Cultural Anthropology at Appalachian State University in Boone, NC. While the southeast is at the core of Lisa's climbing experience, occasionally traveling nationally and internationally to climb continues to fuel her passion for being part of the amazing climbing community. Locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally, climbers share similar stories, goals, and values that Lisa relates to. As the AAC's Southeast Regional Manager, Lisa continues her commitment and passion for the climbing community through local climber gatherings, support of meaningful projects, and partnerships with local climbing organizations. Connecting with fellow climbers, volunteers, and local climbing organizations crystalize both the importance of, and responsibility for our collective climbing community; looking out for one another, perpetuating good ethics, and challenging each other to live our dreams keeps us strong…so do push-ups.
Email Northeast Regional Manager Lisa Hummel at email@example.com
Email the Club's offices in Golden at firstname.lastname@example.org
Give the Club a call at (303) 384-0110
Volunteer in the Northeast Region
Join the crew of AAC Volunteers in the Northeast! Get involved, join the fun, and help us support our local climbing communities.
If you're interested in volunteering, please email email@example.com.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
- Road Trip! Organize a weekend excursion for AAC Members in your local ara.
- Host a climbing meet-up with fellow AAC Members at your local crag or gym!
- Pints + Beta: Host a pub-night meet-up with fellow AAC Members at your local watering hole!
- Member outreach: We have a crew of Super Volunteers to call and welcome new members in our region every month. Join the crew!
Check out the Northeast Volunteer Wall of Fame
New England Section
The New England Section has a long tradition of gathering, bringing climbers together from across multiple generations. Join one of our biannual barbecues at Cathedral Ledge in New Hampshire and you're likely to bump into a mix of climbers, from someone on their first trip to the White Mountains to a local legend who put up some of the area's classics. New England AAC Members also gather at numerous community slide shows throughout the year, several ice festivals, and an annual dinner in Boston. The New England Section hosts the Northeast Craggin Classic every September.
New Englanders have some great crags in their backyards, including Rumney, Pawtuckaway, Smuggler's Notch, Lake Willoughby, Boston's Quincy Quarries (Henry's Barbers first crag), Hammond Pond, College Rock, Crow Hill, Rock Rimon, and the famed Cathedral Ledge.
Mid Atlantic Section
The Mid-Atlantic Section brings together climbers from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. We have two new leaders of the Mid-Atlantic Section: Barry Rusnock from Hackettstown, New Jersey, and Jim Kunz from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Barry and Jim are working to grow AAC activity and membership in the Mid-Atlantic, including climbing outings to the Delaware Water Gap and the annual Top-rope Social and Oktoberfest Celebration at Allamuchy Mountain State Park. If you'd like to help us continue to build the Mid-Atlantic Section, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Metro New York Section
New York City was the original home of the AAC, and many old timers fondly remember our unique Clubhouse on East 90th Street, a converted firehouse. It was the center of Club events and a home to the Library for more than 40 years before AAC headquarters moved to Colorado. Since its departure, the New York Section, now called the Metro New York Section, has tried to replicate the spirit, traditions, and fun events that were held there. Annual winter and summer climbing outings are held in the Adirondacks. The Section is best known for its Annual Black Tie Dinner, now in its fourth decade.
Upstate New York Section
In 2013, in an effort to both recognize the long tradition of AAC activity in New York City and to spur new growth in other areas of the state, we split the New York Section into two centers: Metro New York and Upstate New York. The Upstate New York Section works closely with the Gunks Climbers Coalition in New Paltz and is involved with community events in the Albany area and the Adirondacks. We are currently looking for Upstate New York volunteers and Section Chairs. If you'd like to help us build the new Upstate New York Section, please email Northeast Regional Manager Lisa Hummel.
Benefits in the Northeast Region
Live in the Northeast Region? Travelling to the Northeast? Be sure to take advantage of these resources:
Grants Retail Lodging Guides Gyms
Live Your Dream Grant—Northeast Region
All climbers have dreams. Let us help you live your. The American Alpine Club's Live Your Dream grant powered by The North Face, is designed to support and promote unforgettable experiences that provide the skills and confidence to realize one's climbing ambitions; to dream big, to grow as a climber, and to inspire others. The grant seeks to fund individuals or an individual of a small team, of all ages and experience levels, as well as a range of climbing disciplines (including but not limited to: bouldering, sport & trad climbing, ice climbing, mountaineering, ski mountaineering, peak running, exploration, you name it). We encourage you to grab a friend or three, dream big, and send us an application.
More information about Live Your Dream Grants and grant applications.
• Top of the World Books in Hinesburg, Vermont offers the following discount to AAC Members: 10% off anything on their website—books, posters, videos, etc., including items already on sale. Visit topworldbooks.com or call 802-482-7287 for details.
• Patagonia: AAC members get 20% off in-store. Only at: 414 West 14th Street New York, NY 10014.
• Rock and Snow: AAC members get 10% off purchase. Show membership card in-store or log in to your online profile for the online shopping code.
• American Alpine Club Campground in the Gunks: An ongoing partnership between The Club, the Mohonk Preserve, the New York State Office of Parks, and the Palisades Interstate Parks Commission. Visit the Club's Gunks Campground page for the latest updates.
• High Peaks Mountain Guides: AAC Members get discounted lodging at High Peaks Mountain Guides' Guides' House in Lake Placid, as well as a discount on guide services and retail. Discounts on lodging vary by season: 10% off in the summer, and up to 50% off in the Spring and Fall seasons. Call 518- 523-3764 for availability and visit hpmountainguides.com for all the details.
• Appalachian Mountain Club Facilities: AAC Members will receive the same rates as AMC members (just show your AAC Membership Card or proof-of-membership letter) in all AMC huts and lodges, including the eight High Mountain Huts in New Hampshire's Presidential Range. For more information, go to outdoors.org or call 1-800-372-1758.
• The Keene Farm: Owned by the Alpine Club of Canada, located in the Adirondack Forest Reserve near Keene in northern New York state. The Keene Farm has camping facilities and a large cabin that accommodates up to 32 people. AAC Members receive reciprocity rates. Visit them at the Keene Farm website or call 514-939-1846.
• Greenmont Farms: This restored 19th century post and beam barn is nestled near Smuggler's Notch Ice Climbing, Northeast of Burlington, Vermont. Greenmont Farms offers enjoyable and comfortable accomodations for individuals or groups. AAC members receive a 10% discount. For pricing information or to make a reservation visit pricing.
• The Notch Hostel offers affordable shared and private rooms just one mile off Exit 32 (Lincoln / North Woodstock) of Route 93 in the heart of the White Mountains. With Rumney and Cannon minutes away and many more climbing areas beyond, set up basecamp for your next adventure with us. AAC members will be given a 10% discount. Check out our website at www.NotchHostel.com or email Serena@NotchHostel.com.
• Ragged Mountain Guides in Manchester, CT offers the following discounts to AAC Members: 10% off all regular day climbing programs to AAC Members at Ragged Mountain, CT and at the Gunks, NY. Email Matt Shove at email@example.com or call 203-228-2311 for details and to book your day of climbing.
• Alpine Endeavors in Rosendale, NY offers the following discounts to AAC Members: 10% off guided climbs for AAC Members for day climbs in the Gunks, Catskills, and Adirondacks. Email Marty Molitoris at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-486-5769 to book your trip.
• High Peaks Mountain Guides in Lake Placid, NY offers Club Members a 10% discount on guided trips, discounted loding at their Guides House, and a discount at their retail store. Lodging discounts vary by season. Call 518-523-3764 for availability and visit hpmountainguides.com/ for all the details.
• Kingdom Adventures Mountain Guides in East Burke, Vermont offers the following discounts to AAC Members: $25 discount off all SOLO WFA courses (does not include AHA CPR). $25 discount off all AIARE Level I Avalanche courses. Visit their site at kamountainguides.com or call 802-274-4112 for all the details.
• Northeast Mountaineering in Bartlett, NH offers 25% off guide fees for AAC members.
• Thomson Killimanjaro Treks & Wildlife Safaris is based in Watertown, MA. With 35+ years of experience and 98% summit success, Thomson will guide your Kilimanjaro expedition through rainforest to the snow covered summit. Celebrate your achievement on a celebratory Serengeti Migration Safari in exclusive private camps. Call Thomson's expert consultants to learn more: 800-235-0289.
- Save $500 on Western Approach, Grand Traverse, & Umbwe Route Kilimanjaro Treks
- Save $500 on Thomson African Wildlife Safaris
- Save $500 on Thomson's special business class flights
- Email the AAC for the discount code: info@americanalpineclub.
Discounts vary—please call or stop by each gym for the latest details!
• Earth Treks Climbing Centers
Initiation Fee Waived for AAC members!
Columbia Climbing Center
7125-C Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Timonium Climbing Center
1930 Greenspring Drive
Timonium, MD 21093
Rockville Climbing Center 7
25 Rockville Pike (The Marlo Building)
Rockville, MD 20852
• Petra Cliffs
EFT Initiation Fee waived for new members ($45 Value)
20% off monthly pass
First visit free, 20% off future daily passes
105 Briggs Street
Burlington, VT 05401
• Green Mountain Rock Climbing
10% off annual pass
10% off monthly pass
$10 day pass
10% of any guided trip
223 Woodstock Avenue
Rutland, VT 05701
68 East Woodstock Road
Hartland, VT 05073
• Rock Spot
10% off annual pass
Waived EFT set-up fee
Daily Pass Discount: $12 day pass/$18 day pass with gear rental
100 Higginson Avenue
Lincoln, RI 02865
67 Sprague St
Boston, MA 02136
30 Old Colony Ave
Boston, MA 02027
1174 Kingstown Rd
South Kingstown, RI 02879
• Evolution Rock & Fitness
15% off a three month membership.
10 Langdon Ave.
• Carabiner's Indoor Climbing
No Initiation Fee for new EFT (monthly memberships)
Get Daily Passes at student day pass rate with free harness rental
328 Parker Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
• Boston Rock Gym
No Initiation Fee. $50/month no contract membership rate. Instruction: Intro Class- $25 for AAC members $58 regular. Learn To Lead- $25 for AAC members $50 regular
78G Olympia Ave.
Woburn, MA 01901
• The Gravity Vault Indoor Rock Gyms
10% off our standard adult and student day pass rate during non-discounted days
107 Pleasant Avenue @ Route 17N
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
(201) 934-ROCK (7625)
40 Watchung Avenue
Chatham, NJ 07928
(973) 701-ROCK (7625)
37 Kanes Lane
Middletown, NJ 07748
• New Jersey Rock Gym
10% off day passes
373 U.S. 46
Fairfield, NJ 07004
—Take a Look at All Your Benefits—