Henry S. Hall Jr. American Alpine Club Library
- AAC Library Exhibit: Original Gregory William Frux Sketchbooks
- AAC Member John M Boyle Dies at 79.
- Explore Exhibit: The Yeti
- Explore Exhibit: Desert Pioneers
- Yosemite Explore Exhibit
- Now Available: AAC Publications Search
- New in Explore: Huntley Ingalls Slideshow and Frux Expedition Cards
- “Denali Centennial: Commemorating Our Pioneers” Online Exhibit
The Henry S. Hall Jr. American Alpine Club Library provides you with all the information you could ever want on mountain culture and climbing routes. Located in Golden, Colorado, we're able to help you find the information you're looking for even if you're across the globe.
Search the catalog!
• Check out 5 films and 10 books at a time
• Keep your items for 28 days
• We'll ship to you free—you only pay return shipping
• Members receive one hour of free research per month (unused hours do not accrue)
About the Library
Established in 1916, the AAC Library is one of the oldest alpine libraries in the United States. We have a collection of more than 20,000 books and videos devoted to mountaineering, alpinism, rock climbing, ice climbing, and bouldering. Rare and non-circulating collections include
- The AAC archives
- John M. Boyle Himalayan Library
- Manuscript collections
- Rare books dating back to the 16th century
- The Central Asia Collection
As an AAC member or Friend of the Library, you can borrow up to ten books and five videos for 28 days. For members outside the Golden area, library staff will mail you the guidebooks, videos, or other books for free (within the US). The only cost to you is the return postage and shipping insurance.
Having trouble finding the information you're looking for? Our staff and volunteers are happy to do the research for you. Be sure to check our policies and research rates.
How To Log In to the Library Catalog
We've been upgrading our database which has temporarily made access more difficult for our members. If you're unable to search our catalog, use the following steps:
- Go to the AAC Homepage americanalpineclub.org
- Go to Log In at the top right
- Click Forgot Password and use the email address you associated with your AAC profile.
- Once you receive your new temporary password, go back to the AAC website, log in and change your password. You can use your old password again if you want.
- This should then automatically change your password in the library catalog, so you can go to booksearch.americanalpineclub.org and log in with your email address and AAC password.
Location and NEW Hours
American Alpine Club Library
710 Tenth St. Ste. 15
Golden, CO 80401
Phone: (303) 384-0112
We have expanded our hours as of July 2014
Saturday and Sunday (closed)*
Monday (10am - 4pm)
Tuesday (10am - 4pm)
Wednesday (12pm - 7pm)
Thursday (10am - 4pm)
Friday (10 am - 3 pm)
*We are happy to open the library outside of our scheduled hours (including on Saturday and Sunday) by appointment. Please provide at least three business days notice if you would like an appointment so that we can staff the library. Please email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
Policies and Fees
American Alpine Club Library History
John M. Boyle Himalayan Library
About the Collections
Magazines in the Library
Library on Inclined: The AAC Blog
How to Support the LibraryBecome a Volunteer
The Library enjoys volunteer help from club members and library Friends. Recently members have helped to organize the map collection, process inventory rare books, and process archive materials. If you want to lend a hand, please contact us by phone, (303) 384-0112, or email us at email@example.com.
Become an AAC Member
Your AAC membership helps support the library while giving you access to our catalog. Search for want you want online and we'll ship guidebooks, videos, or other books to you for free.
Buy Some Books
The AAC sells duplicate books in a variety of ways, all of which benefit the Library.
- We add select books to the AAC Online Store.
- Some of our books are also sold through Top of the World Books. You can see the catalog online here. Every purchase sends a percentage to the AAC Library.
- We usually have $1 and $2 books and magazines for sale in the library.
Much of our catalog archive has been donated to us from private collections. If you'd like to help grow the climbing community with your collection legacy, get all the details here. We also appreciate the donation of new guidebooks and are grateful to our Media Partners.
Adopt a Collection
Much of our material needs extra funds in order to keep it preserved. To help us ensure that our collection is preserved for the next generation of climbers, adopt a collection here.
Donate to the AAC Library
The AAC Library appreciates donations of newer books, videos, and archival items related to mountaineering, rock climbing, mountain culture, and the environment. Please contact the Library staff before sending any materials.
Your donation will help us acquire material, care for the collection, and make these resources accessible to the mountaineering community. When you click on the Donate button, be sure to select "Library" as your fund of choice. Thank you!