Hueco Rock Ranch FAQ
Reservations are not required, but are recommended. Booking a spot will secure you a place to crash when you get here. Rooms in the house fill up fast—especially around holidays!
For more info call the Ranch at: (915) 996-3613 (from early November - early April). All other times please call AAC Headquarters at: (303) 384-0110.
There is a 10% discount for two-week stays or more, in both the house and camp ground.
- Payment is required at time of booking to confirm the dates desired, as well as a list of guests and their membership status. (Please see cancellation policy, below).
- Whole house rates are not offered for the upcoming season.
- Only one or two persons may stay in a private room (1 single full sized bed), no additional guests may sleep on the floor.
- You can purchase both bunks in a two-bunk room to make it a private room, if availability allows.
In order to get member pricing, each person must be a member of the AAC. If not, then non-member pricing applies to that person/bed.
Hueco Cancellation Policy:
No cancellation charge and 100% of deposit refunded if notice is received more than 60 days in advance of arrival date. 50% of deposit refunded if cancellation notice is received between 30 and 60 days of arrival date.
No deposit refunded if cancellation notice is received within 30 days of arrival date.
- Please let us know if you are going to arrive late, and we will leave a light on and your room assignment will be written on the message board on the stairs.
- The front door code is included in your reservation confirmation.
- Reservations for multiple days are automatically cancelled without refund unless notice of late arrival is provided to the ranch by 11:00 a.m. on the second day of the reservation.
How can I cancel my reservation?
Please email the Ranch stating you want to cancel your reservation. Please be sure to include your confirmation ID in the email.
No pets are allowed in any structure or on Hueco Rock Ranch property.
The Hueco Rock Ranch was fully renovated in 2012. Watch the video for more details about the amenities in both the house and barn.
Frequently Asked Questions:
When will the Hueco Rock Ranch (HRR) be open?
The HRR will open Wednesday of the first full week of November and close Monday of the first full week of April.
What are the office hours of operation?
Staff will be either in the house or in the barn office every day from 8am-12 noon and 4 pm to 8pm.
How much does it cost to stay for a night?
Costs vary depending on lodging type and if you are an AAC member or not. Please see the pricing info elsewhere.
Is the HRR only open to American Alpine Club Members?
No, the HRR is open to everyone. There are however different rates for members and non-members, and depending on your length of stay becoming a member can quickly pay for itself.
Are pets permitted at the HRR?
No, no pets are permitted on the HRR property.
Who has access to the House?
The house is only for guest who are paying to stay in the house.
Who has access to the Barn?
The barn is only for American Alpine Club members and guest who are paying to stay in the campground.
When are quiet hours?
Quiet hours in the house and campground are 10pm and 7am. If you want to be up later than that please respect other guests and go to the barn.
What is the proximity of the HRR to Hueco Tanks State Park?
The HRR is a 4 mile drive to the Park.
Can I ship something to the ranch?
Please contact ranch staff before shipping to the ranch. Packages shipped to unknown names will be returned to sender. A better option is to ship general delivery at Sandy Creek Post Office 2100 GEORGE DIETER DR EL PASO, TX 79936-9998.
What is available for accommodation options?
There are several options for you lodging pleasure.
1) There is the house. It is right up there with the nicest spots climbers get to stay. There are several different room options, from private to bunk and several in between.
2) Camping. Sites have been cleaned and delineated and with the renovation of the barn, there is a great spot for all your cooking, bathroom and lounging needs. Camping at the HRR has never been better.
3) If you have your own road-tripping machine, then there are numerous nice flat spots which are easy to pull into and set up in. All with-in close walking distance of the barn, if you feel the urge to get out and stretch you legs.
What time is check in?
If you are staying in the house the office is open till 8pm, and if you plan to arrive later than that please make note of that while making your online reservation. You will be given a combo code for the front door; your room/bunk location will be posted on a board inside the house. Come on in and get some rest.
If you are in the campground, please stop at the information board in front of the barn and fill out a self-check in card, list your name, site number, length of stay and number of people in your party. If you have booked on-line deposit the envelope in the fee box and enjoy your night. If you do not have prior reservations, please also deposit the nightly camping fee in the envelope. This way we will not wake you up to collect payment first thing in the morning. If you do not have cash or checks, please visit the office and talk to staff in the morning.
Are showers available for people not staying at the Ranch?
Yes, showers are available for those not staying at the Ranch. Please see staff to buy a shower token.
How can I find a guide?
Please check out the Wagon Wheel Coopt website to find a tour.
Is the water at the HRR potable?
We do everything we can to make it that way, but we are reliant on water delivery by trucks. For this reason we recommend you bring your own drinking water.
Is there recycling at the HRR?
Yes, please check in the house and barn for recycling options. Please resist the urge to get too many plastic bags at the Vista Supermarket.
Is there wifi available?
Yes we have wifi, but we have limited bandwidth and a slow connection, we ask that you use it sparingly and do not download or stream movies, videos or music.
Is there laundry available at the Ranch?
No, there is not laundry available at the Ranch, but there are lots of Laundromats along Montana Ave.
Can you have a camp fire at the GGC?
There is one community fire pit in the middle of the campground. No fires are allowed at campsites or anywhere else on the property.