- FAQs about the Northeast Craggin’ Classic Sept. 13-15
- Our Members: Alan Kearney Documents Our Changing Glaciers
- Remembering Diana Dailey
- Craggin Classic: Crimpfest – Smith Rock Sept 14-16th!
- Snowbird Hut Outhouse Tests New Concepts in an Alpine Environment
Welcome to the Northwest! Spanning the the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska this region is absolutely packed with phenomenal rock and ice. There are throngs of very active members across the region, so find your Section, meet some good folks, and get out and climb!
The Northwest Region has been a stronghold for the American Alpine Club since our inception, and has been a rich part of American climbing over the last century. Spanning the states of Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana, each state has its own unique character in terms of both geology and personalities who live there. Washington and Alaska have been the springboard for cutting edge alpinism around the world. Many great climbers have cut their teeth on the difficult north facing routes in North Cascades, and the well documented and storied history of the Alaska Range needs no introduction. Smith Rock in Oregon has been called “The Birthplace of American Sport Climbing" and gave us the nation's first 5.14. The City of Rocks in southern Idaho boasts close to 1,000 of its own routes on spectacular granite. And, not to be overlooked, the world class ice climbing in Hyalite Canyon in Montana makes the Northwest a climber's paradise.
To help keep our ear to the ground concerning access and conservation issues, we've just recently fielded a team of Policy Volunteers. Chris Winter and Adam Baylor help from Portland while Margo Mandella keeps us on top of things from Pocatello in eastern Idaho.
It's easy to get in touch with your Regional Manager, or the Club.
Check out Northwest Regional Manager Eddie Espinosa's bio on our Staff page or email him at email@example.com
Email the Club's offices in Golden at firstname.lastname@example.org
Give the Club a call at (303) 384-0110
Volunteer in the Northwest Region
Join the crew of AAC Volunteers in the Northwest! Get involved, join the fun, and help us support our local climbing communities.
If you're interested in volunteering, please email Eddie Espinosa.
Check out the Northwest Region Volunteer Wall of Fame
Benefits in the Northwest
Live in the Northwest? Traveling to the Northwest? Be sure to take advantage of these resources:
Northwest Region Live Your Dream Grants: Application Period: March 1 - April 1
The Live Your Dream Grant is aimed at assisting climbers in the Pacific Northwest and Northern Rocky Mountains pursue personal goals and progressions in climbing that they may not be able to otherwise. Climbers living in Washington, Oregon, northern Idaho, Montana, and Alaska are eligible to apply. It is not limited to any specific type of climbing and can be applied to projects ranging from bouldering to alpinism. The committee is looking for climbers who are motivated to become stronger both in climbing and as members of their climbing community. Grants will be dispersed in these amounts: $500, $400, three grants at $300, and $200.
Download the Northwest Region Application.
• Feathered Friends in offers Club members a 10% discount on any full price item in their Seattle retail location. Show up with your AAC Member Card and you'll walk out the door with a few more dollars in your pocket.
• Second Ascent offers Club members a 10% discount on all purchases in their shop in Seattle. Consistently ranked as one of the nation's top used gear stores, count on them to also offer a great selection of new gear.
• The Mountain Shop offers Club members a 10% discount on any full price item in their Portland retail location. Show up with your AAC Member Card and you'll walk out the door with a few more dollars in your pocket.
• BlueCosmo Satellite Communications provides mobile Satellite Phones & Satellite Internet Terminals to keep you connected from well beyond traditional wireless coverage. BlueCosmo provides equipment sales, rentals, repairs & services on all Iridium, Inmarsat, Globalstar, SPOT, KVH & VSAT services. Visit our website at www.bluecosmo.com or call 877-258-3496. Log in into the AAC website to access your membership code and receive 10% of any hardware purchase or satellite phone rental. In addition spend over $500 and get free shipping.
• North Cascades Basecamp: Located in Mazama, WA where the Methow Valley meets the North Cascades, this lodge has six rooms and a satellite cabin that sleeps seven. There are single and multi-pitch rock and ice climbs across the street, out-the-door trail running, mountain biking, hiking, and skiing on 200 km of trails. Only a 20-minute drive from world class alpine climbing and spring touring at Washington Pass—including the famous Liberty Bell Crack, one of the 50 classic climbs in North America. Rates for the summer bed and breakfast are $88 a night for two adults; AAC Members receive a 20% discount with a current Membership Card. Visit the website or contact North Cascades Basecamp at (509) 996-2334.
• Mazama Lodge: Located 60 miles east of Portland, OR on the slopes of Mount Hood. AAC Members and other outdoor club Members stay fro $22/night (show your AAC Membership Card or other proof of Membership). For reservations and rates, visit www.mazamas.org or call 503-272-9214.
• Destination Hotels & Resorts has six locations in the Northwest Region—Cle Elum, Seattle, and Kirkland in Washington, and Portland, Sunriver, and Eugene in Oregon. Get AAC Members-only pricing (25% off!) by visiting the Destination Hotels & Resorts Privileges page (www.destinationprivileges.com). Enter “alpineclub" as the username and password and complete a short profile form so Destination can confirm your AAC Membership.
• Visit the Alaska Section's Snowbird Hut. Accessible from Archangel Valley near Hatcher's Pass, the hut is a year round destination for backcountry skiers, climbers and adventurous hikers. It's a great example of a Section pulling together their time and energy to produce something awesome.
• Climb, trek, ski, our take a class with Mountain Madness! Based in Seattle since 1984, we have maintained the goal to provide the highest quality experience for beginner and advanced mountaineers and trekkers alike – for trekkers seeking the summit of Kilimanjaro to climbers aspiring to climb Mt. Everest. Join one of our international schools in Ecuador, Bolivia, France, or Mexico and receive 10% off when you sign-up with a friend. Visit the website www.mountainmadness.com or call 1-800-328-5925.
• Alpine Ascents International out of Seattle, WA is a leader in the mountain guiding industry and has been instrumental in setting precedent in the international guiding community. They offer the opportunity for climbers at all levels to achieve personal aspirations through quality, challenging, safe and fun expeditions. AMGA Accredited.
Visit www.alpineascents.com or call 206-378-1927.
We would like to offer a 10% discount on the following programs:
- Alpine Mountaineering and Technical Leadership Part I (http://www.alpineinstitute.
com/catalog/alpine-) mountaineering-and-technical- leadership,-part-1/
- Mt. Baker Skills and Climb (http://www.alpineinstitute.
- Introduction to Alpinism (http://www.alpineinstitute.
com/catalog/alpinism-1-) introduction-to- mountaineering/
- Glacier Skills (http://www.alpineinstitute.
• For over 20 years, Alaska Mountain Guides and Climbing School (AMG) has been the premier outdoor adventure guide service and climbing school with guided trips in Alaska. Programs include, exceptional climbing, trekking, skiing, and sea kayaking adventures that visit some of Alaska's and the Yukon's most unique and intriguing places. Check out their website (www.alaskamountainguides.com) or call 1-800-766-3396 for the details.
• Longleaf Wilderness Medicine originated along the Gulf Coast of Alabama in response to the needs of communities for remote emergency medical training. LWM has since grown to provide courses for many communities which need access to quality and accessible medical training. From the early courses along the Gulf Coast to the current national programing, the staff at LWM have maintained the mission of providing wilderness medicine education for both individuals and communities. LWM offers AAC members 10% off any course around the country.
Discounts vary—please call or stop by each gym for more info
$50 inititiation fee waived
2330 West Commodore Way
Seattle, WA 98199
Phone: (206) 283-4497
15036B NE 95th Street
Redmond, WA 98052
2820 Rucker Ave
Everett, WA 98201
• Edgeworks Climbing Gym
Annual Pass: $519 / Monthly Dues: $45 / Day Pass: $12
6102 North 9th Street, Suite 200
Tacoma, Washington 98406
• Seattle Bouldering Project
10% off monthly EFT Membership, $10 passes during Send and Social events
900 Poplar Place South
Seattle, WA 98144
• Warehouse Rock Gym
10% off monthly/annual memberships and daypasses
315 Jefferson St. NE
Olympia, WA 98501
• Planet Granite
Joining fee waived
1405 NW 14th Ave
Portland, OR 97209
—Take a Look at All Your Benefits—