- What Personal Information Do We Collect?
- Information You Provide. We receive and store information you enter. For example, when you search for or buy a product or service, or when you supply information such as your address and phone number. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of some of our features. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future member needs, improving our website, and communicating with you. In addition, if you choose, we may share your information with other companies who provide goods or services that you are interested in. Please see the "opt-in/opt-out" selection in Section 4 of this policy.
- Other Information: Every computer has an IP (Internet Protocol) address. IP addresses of computers used to visit this site are noted. In addition, we automatically collect other information such as email addresses, browser types, operating systems, and the URL addresses of sites clicked to and from this site.
- Information from Other Sources. We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. This may include updated delivery and address information from our shippers or other sources so that we can correct our records and deliver your next purchase or communication more easily.
- How Do We Use Your Information?
- Special Offers. We may send you special offers from time to time, unless you choose to "opt-out" of receiving such offers. In addition, we may also send you special offers from our partner companies. Again, you may "opt-out". If we send you offers from other businesses, we do not share your personal information with them. The offers come directly through us. Please see the "opt-in/opt-out" selection at the end of this policy.
- How Do We Protect the Security of Your Information?
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
- We use encryption to protect your information contained in our customer list.
- We use a firewall to protect against unlawful intrusion.
- We limit access to your information on a "need to know" basis.
- We transmit the entire credit card number over an SSL to the appropriate credit card company for processing.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
- No system can guarantee absolute security, just as the finest lock can not guarantee physical security. However, we take every reasonable precaution to assure that your data is secure.
- Your Choice: Opt-in or Opt-out.
- It is your choice whether to receive emails or special offers from us or others. The following section provides you with this choice. Please note the default settings are automatically setup when your account is created.
- Interactions with other members
- Sharing Your Content and Information
You own all of the content and information you post on your profile and Member Share, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy account settings and Member Share settings. In addition:
When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
When you publish content or information using the privacy account settings, it means that you are allowing all AAC members to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name, bio, and profile picture).
6. Interactions with other members.
- You Have Sole Responsibility When Interacting with Other Members. Our Services provide a platform for members to learn about one another, arrange stays and travel, engage in activities and communicate with one another. The AAC is not a party to, has no involvement or interest in, makes no representations or warranties as to, and has no responsibility or liability with respect to any communications, transactions, interactions, disputes or any relations whatsoever between you and any other member, person or organization. You are solely responsible for your interactions with other members of our Services. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor interactions between you and other members of our Services. Remember, the AAC Member Shares Services are just a platform that enable you to communicate and interact with other people around the world. We cannot be responsible for the interactions that you have with other AAC members, so please use good judgment and keep safety in mind when you use our Services.
Member-Hosted Events. Members may organize in-person meetings and host events for other AAC members; however, these events are not sponsored or endorsed by the American Alpine Club and members attend such meetings and events at their own risk.
Release. Because our Services are merely a platform, in the event that you have a dispute with one or more members, you release us (and our officers, directors, members, employees, agents and affiliates) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes. If you are a California resident, you waive California Civil Code 1542, which says: “A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor."
Member Conduct. By accessing or using the Services, you agree to act responsibly and exercise good judgment. In addition, you agree not to:
(a) use the Services in violation of any applicable law or regulation, including promoting or encouraging any illegal activity;
(b) infringe the rights of any third party, including without limitation, intellectual property, privacy, publicity or contractual rights;
(c) use the Services in any manner that could interfere with, disrupt, negatively affect or inhibit other members from fully enjoying the Services or that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the functioning of the Services in any manner;
(d) use our Services in connection with the distribution of spam (which we define as unsolicited bulk e-mail or any other unsolicited messages of a commercial, religious, romantic, political or other nature not within the intended purposes of the Services);
(e) stalk, intimidate, threaten or otherwise harass or cause discomfort to any other member of our Services;
(f) collect or store any information about any other member other than as permitted on our Services;
(g) use our Services for any commercial purpose whatsoever, unless with prior written consent from AAC;
(h) register for more than one member account;
(i) impersonate any person or entity, or falsify or otherwise misrepresent yourself or your affiliation with any person or entity, whether by providing or omitting to provide information;
(j) circumvent or attempt to defeat any security or verification measure relating to use of the Services;
(k) hold yourself out as an agent, representative, employee or affiliate of AAC, including but not limited to when you host an event for other AAC members or
(l) assist any third party in doing any of the foregoing.
REPEAT OFFENDER POLICY
In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA") and other applicable law, the AAC has adopted a policy of terminating, in appropriate circumstances and in AAC's sole discretion, members who are deemed to be repeat infringers. The AAC may also, in our sole discretion, limit access to the Services and/or terminate the accounts of any members who we believe may infringe any intellectual property rights of others, whether or not there is any repeat infringement.
LIMITS ON LIABILITY
IN NO EVENT SHALL AMERICAN ALPINE CLUB, OR OUR DIRECTORS, MEMBERS, EMPLOYEES OR AGENTS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF PROFITS OR LOSS OF DATA, WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO: (A) THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE OUR SERVICES; (B) THE COST OF REPLACEMENT OF ANY GOODS, SERVICES OR INFORMATION PURCHASED OR OBTAINED AS A RESULT OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH OR FROM OUR SERVICES; (C) DISCLOSURE OF, UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR CONTENT; (D) DAMAGES FOR LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA OR PROGRAMS, SERVICE INTERRUPTIONS OR PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE SERVICES, EVEN IF WE KNOW OR HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES; (E) STATEMENTS, CONDUCT OR OMISSIONS OF ANY SERVICE PROVIDERS OR OTHER THIRD PARTY ON OUR SERVICES; (F) YOUR OR ANYONE ELSE'S CONDUCT OR ACTS IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE SERVICES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, BODILY INJURY, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, DEATH OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES RESULTING FROM COMMUNICATIONS OR MEETINGS WITH OTHER REGISTERED MEMBERS OF OUR SERVICES OR PERSONS INTRODUCED TO YOU BY OUR SERVICES, WHETHER ON-LINE OR OFF-LINE; OR (G) ANY OTHER MATTER ARISING FROM, RELATING TO OR CONNECTED WITH OUR SERVICES OR THESE TERMS.