UIAA Member Federation
The American Alpine Club has been a Member Federation to the UIAA (International Climbing and Mountaineering Federation) since 1932. The AAC, and it's members, benefit from membership in the following ways:
- Eligibility for subsidized access to the UIAA Mountain Qualification Labels for leaders and instructors in climbing, mountaineering, ski-mountaineering and hill-walking.
- Option of sending athletes to compete in the UIAA Ice Climbing World Tour and the UIAA World Youth Ice Climbing Championships.
- Participation in the development of international standards, as part of the UIAA Safety Label, setting the highest standards for climbing and mountaineering equipment.
- Members can send participants to subsidized UIAA Global Youth Summit climbing and mountaineering events around the world.
- Sit on UIAA Commissions that work year-round on Access, Anti-Doping, Ice Climbing, Medical, Mountain Protection, Safety and Youth.
Currently, the UIAA is the organization recognized by the International Olympic Committee for Ice Climbing Competition. Their goal is to see Ice Climbing represented in the 2022 Winter Olympics in Bejing, China. The steps to official competition will come through Ice Climbing Demonstration at the 2018 Winter Games in S. Korea and the Ice Climbing Demonstration at the 2020 Youth Games in Switzerland.
The American Alpine Club will be hosting the 2019 World Cup Ice Climbing Competition in Denver on February 23-24, 2019 in Civic Center Park.
The American Alpine Club is in the process of creating a system in which athletes can qualify to represent the USA at the Denver competition. More details will be released in the coming weeks.
Check out the UIAA World Cup Calendar and announcement here.
For more information about the UIAA click the button below!
For more information on competing in UIAA sanctioned ice climbing competitions, please click on the button below.