ANCHOR REPLACEMENT FUND
The American Alpine Club and Access Fund launched the Anchor Replacement Fund to address the growing concerns of anchor failure and the access issues that could result from these incidents. Across the United States, bolts installed in the 80s and 90s are aging, and there is an immediate need to address inadequate fixed anchors and increase support for local and national partners leading these efforts.
We invite local climbing and anchor replacement organizations to seek funding and support for anchor replacement initiatives at their local climbing area. Grant applications are reviewed by a team of experts from the Access Fund, American Alpine Club, and anchor replacement community. Grant applicants are expected to demonstrate both need and support from the local community. Please review the grant guidelines below to ensure that your project qualifies before applying.
Anchor Replacement Fund Grant Application
Who can apply:
We welcome applications from local climbing organizations and anchor replacement groups.
We fund work that:
- Replaces bolts or fixed anchors on established routes (no new route development)
- Uses 1/2 inch stainless bolts where power drills are allowed or3/8 inch if hand drilled
- Demonstrates community support, compatible land use regulations, respect for local ethics and history, and a well-laid out plan and budget
- Is in the United States
We do not fund:
- Applications from individuals
- Bolts for new routes or route development
- 3/8 inch or less, non-stainless bolts and hangers
- Anchor replacement projects that fail to address or lack community support, compatible land use regulations, respect for local ethics and history, and a well-laid out plan and budget.
- Anchor replacement projects outside the United States
We encourage applicants to review Access Fund's Resource Center for Fixed Anchors, which provides a rich set of resources on anchor replacement techniques, tools, and additional resources, including the Access Fund and American Alpine Club's joint policy on fixed anchors.
Annual Application Deadline: September 15th