UIAA Member Federation
The American Alpine Club has been a Member Federation to the UIAA (International Climbing and Mountaineering Federation) since 1932. The AAC, and it's members, benefit from membership in the following ways:
- Eligibility for subsidized access to the UIAA Mountain Qualification Labels for leaders and instructors in climbing, mountaineering, ski-mountaineering and hill-walking.
- Option of sending athletes to compete in the UIAA Ice Climbing World Tour and the UIAA World Youth Ice Climbing Championships.
- Participation in the development of international standards, as part of the UIAA Safety Label, setting the highest standards for climbing and mountaineering equipment.
- Members can send participants to subsidized UIAA Global Youth Summit climbing and mountaineering events around the world.
- Sit on UIAA Commissions that work year-round on Access, Anti-Doping, Ice Climbing, Medical, Mountain Protection, Safety and Youth.
Currently, the UIAA is the organization recognized by the International Olympic Committee for Ice Climbing Competition. Their goal is to see Ice Climbing represented in the 2022 Winter Olympics in Bejing, China. The steps to official competition will come through Ice Climbing Demonstration at the 2018 Winter Games in S. Korea and the Ice Climbing Demonstration at the 2020 Youth Games in Switzerland.
The American Alpine Club is currently seeking an organization/city to host the 2018/19 World Ice Climbing Competition. Proposals are due December 1, 2017
Request for Proposals
UIAA Organizers Ice Climbing Handbook
If you have general questions about hosting a World Cup event, please email Vickie Hormuth: [email protected]
For questions pertaining to the competition wall, please email Matt Hopkins: [email protected]
If you are an athlete seeking a license to participate in 2018 World Cup Ice Climbing Competitions, please email [email protected]
For more information about the UIAA click the button below!
For more information on competing in UIAA sanctioned ice climbing competitions, please click on the button below.